Friday, March 23, 2012

Mt Elphinstone Snow - March 23, 2012

Today we really turned the corner into spring. Sunshine and warmer temperatures were enough to get just about anyone outside. Daylight hours are extending with every passing day giving us even more opportunities. Not only was the fabulous weather calling me outside, but this was catch up time with my good friend and motivator Char. Our schedules haven't allowed us to spend much time together lately, so I was excited to have time 1 on 1 to chat.

Of course, hiking with a fitness coach and personal trainer means you are going to get a good workout. We attempted to hike Torrent up to The Ridge which is both aggressive cardio and a fabulous reward of unique terrain at the top. Unfortunately, I missed a turn somewhere so we just kept going up the yellow trail. This trail eventually reaches the summit, but that means 4 hours in each direction. Too much time for an average Friday for these two busy women.

This was our turnaround point. I figured that if we had hiked high enough to find snow on a 10 degree (that's 50F) day, we had done our climbing for the day. I'm not in fitness trainer shape, but just knowing that I was able to have a consistent conversation during a fairly aggressive climb means I have improved a lot over a couple of years. I know I will sleep well tonight and hopefully dream of the grand cedars & firs that accompanied our journey.

Here is to more Friday afternoons with good friends.

No comments: