Monday, February 22, 2010

Soames Hill - Feb 22, 2010


Heaven on earth. This was my thought today as I basked in the warm sunshine atop Soames Hill with beauty all around. Simply amazing...I could have stayed for hours ( I did stay 1 hour).

I can't believe I waited this long to make this hike. Honestly, I was a bit intimidated by the description of 205 wooden steps to the summit. When I first moved here, I wouldn't have made it to the top. I was in such poor physical shape.

Today I made it up those steps in about 20 minutes...breathing hard, but not tired. Then it is just a bit farther up the trail to the summit. So worth it! I will be back the next sunny day with an extra hour for a workout.


Today was another spectacular day. Glorious sunshine on a warm day. Flowers are blooming and pollen is in the fresh air. It feels like April or May...not February.

The sun was so bright that these first pictures miss the vibrant colour. These are looking south toward Gibsons...what a beautiful village by the sea. In the distance you can just make out Vancouver Island, but it was easy to see in person.


Keats Island. The tug made its way through Howe Sound and home to Gibsons Marina. Think how smooth the water was to create a wake like this from a slow-moving tug boat.


The vibrant blue and green really stand out in the photos facing east and not facing into the sun. Keats Island is in front and Bowen Island is in the distance.


Paradise only 5 minutes from my home....ok 5 minutes and then 30 minutes up to the summit. I hope to spend many more days atop Soames Hill on BC's spectacular Sunshine Coast.





















No comments: