Friday, May 20, 2011

Soames Hill - May 20, 2011


Spring has truly arrived...just in time for Victoria Day weekend. Three weeks since my last real hike and I can feel it...mentally and physically. Why do I let time slip by without getting outside? I couldn't pass up the sunny and warm afternoon, so I headed for one of my favourite spots: Soames Hill.

A big THANK YOU to the SCRD parks staff for the installation of the new trail signs. Made of wood, they look completely natural along the trail and are a great resource for hikers. There is no getting lost in this park.

Since today was a bright sunny day, I headed directly for the green trail...the 250m summit. Since I haven't been hiking regularly of late, I was feeling the cardio workout. My quads gave a cheery "Hello!" at about step 150..(there are 206 stairs). But this hike is completely worth the effort. The view from the top is simply amazing.


I could sit up there for hours. It is a great place to think, to relax, and soak in the sun. The rockface at the summit shows the power of the mountains and the ocean is such a deep blue. It was low tide today...you can see the sandy beach ringing the land. This is Gibsons Harbour...a few more boats popping up as summer approaches. Vancouver Island is in the distance with a few snowcapped mountains still in view. My photo skills don't do it justice. It's an amazing 240 degree view.







This is the view to the southeast. Keats Island is in front with the Paisley Islands in the back. We can't see these from town...only up this high can we see over Keats. Look at all the boats who have already arrived in Plumper's Cove for the holiday weekend. It was just a little hazy. On a crystal clear day, you can see to Richmond and YVR.

Paradise....just 5 minutes from home. One of the best places in the world to simply escape for a while.



No comments: